Whether you are a senior yourself or a young adult just starting off, having a friend over sixty is a smart idea. No matter what stage of life you are in, there are many advantages to sharing conversations, ideas and thoughts with someone with true life experience.
Being social is an important part of staying healthy and happy. People who engage in face-to-face discussions with other people are said to live longer, more meaningful lives. If you don’t have a friend that’s a senior, make it your mission to do so – for more reasons than one.
Why Seniors Make Great Companions:
- You will learn a lot from each other. This is true in most cases, especially if you are in different stages of life. Things change all of the time. Someone older than you might need help with someone they don’t understand. Someone older than you could enlighten you a bit about the past and other things. It’s a win for everyone.
- It goes both ways. Sometimes we start off wanting a friendship for our own personal reasons or gains. For example, you might strike up a conversation with someone in order to get directions or help on a project. That relationship could grow into something more meaningful and mutual over time.
- The conversation will be meaningful. When you speak with someone with years of experience, a lot of the time they have a way of cutting out the nonsense and getting to the good stuff. Conversation might become more rich and impactful over time. You could learn a lot from someone else!
- It might keep you feeling younger longer. Laughing, crying, sharing: It all makes us feel more alive. It’s always a great idea to share these moments with other people you care about.
- It will help you live in the now. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our lives we forget that there are other things going on. We also might forget that being young doesn’t last forever. Being around someone else that’s older than you can help you gain a fresh perspective on life. It reminds you that life is short and to appreciate what’s here and now.
Having a friend or two is an important part of life, no matter how old they are. As we age, our friends and priorities change. But it’s always nice to have that one person that you can count on for good advice and meaningful conversation. We hope you have that person in your life.
Share this Post