Summer is upon us and it’s important to remember a few warm weather safety tips for you and your loved ones. It’s a beautiful time of the year! Unfortunately, scorching hot temperatures can sometimes lead to unforeseen situations that can easily be avoided by taking the necessary precautions.
Take a moment to review the following Do’s and Don’ts to help you stay calm, cool and refreshed during the dog days of summer. You’ll know most of these important tips, but it’s always a good idea to review them each year as a friendly reminder. We hope you have a great summer!
Hot Weather Summer Tips:
- Don’t forget to bring along water when you are out and about. Even if you’re just taking a stroll around the property, bring water just in case. You might not realize it before it happens, but you can quickly become dehydrated.
- Do change up your diet, if necessary. Depending on how much time you spend outside, it might be necessary to alter your diet. If you are more active, you might need more calories in addition to water. Be sure to talk with your doctor before changing your diet too much.
- Don’t stay outside too long. You shouldn’t stay outside for extended amounts of time when the temperatures are high, even if you have water and all the other necessities mentioned here. It’s best to avoid prolonged exposure to the super hot sun.
- Do enjoy the fresh flowers and sweet smells of the summer time! Soak it all in. Sometimes winter can bring us down. Try to relax and enjoy the beauty of summer!
- Don’t skip the sunscreen. If you wear makeup, consider using a foundation with SPF already mixed in. A nice lip balm with SPF will also do the trick.
- Do participate in as many summer activities as you can. Being social and active is great for your health and well being. Summer should be a time to get out and enjoy what life has to offer with the companionship of fellow community residents.
- Don’t ignore the hot weather warning alerts. Often times, media outlets will talk about hot weather warnings on the news or in the paper. If they recommend staying inside, take their advice.
- Do wear proper attire. You’d be surprised how many people forget this tip. Remember to check the weather for the day and dress accordingly.
- Don’t go too long without eating, especially if you are headed outside. With the hustle-and-bustle of the summer, we often times forget to nourish ourselves properly. Too much exposure to heat can quickly have you feeling exhausted. Eating a well-balanced meal and having snacks when necessary is crucial to feeling well when spending time outdoors.
- Do bring along your sun glasses, a hat and perhaps a parasol to keep the sun off your skin. If you’re headed outside for long periods of time, try to be prepared for anything!
We hope these 10 do’s and don’ts remind you about summer and its many attributes. Be prepared and think ahead if you are heading outdoors. It’s a lovely time of the year. Enjoy!
Share this Post