In a detailed study on the connection between lifestyle and dementia risk, researchers found that people who participate in multiple healthy behaviors significantly reduce their risk for dementia.1 So what do healthy behaviors include exactly?
Healthy behaviors might include a well-balanced diet low in fat, low in cholesterol, high in antioxidants and regular exercise.1 Activities may also include hobbies or memorization games to help keep the brain sharp. It’s a great idea to test your brain as often as you can. Learn and try new things to keep challenging yourself.
Here are a 5 easy things to try from home:
- Play memorization games with the whole family. Have you ever played those matching board games where you lay out the cards and turn them over to find a match? Keep playing them! Doing this type of memorization game can help test your brain power and activate your memory cells.
- Do things spontaneously. Do things your brain won’t expect you to do. Try to be more impulsive when it comes to your everyday life. This might put you in situations where your mind will have to work harder. A hard working brain is a great way to help you stay healthy.
- Gradually replace fatty foods with fruits and vegetables. You don’t have to cut out unhealthy foods all at once. Gradually incorporate healthier foods like berries and fresh vegetables into your diet. Be aware of how much salt you are using. It’s also a good idea to cut down on saturated fats.
- Raise your heart rate for at least 30 minutes per day. This also doesn’t have to happen overnight. Become more active with things you love, like a sport or playing with your children or grandchildren. Try something new! Get active as much as you can.
- Try something new at least once a week. Test your mental power and become more active at the same time. Try something new. Get involved with your residential community. There are many different things you can do to help activate your brain.
According to the study mentioned above, there are many ways that a person can help keep their brain healthy. Staying active, eating healthier and trying new things can have many added benefits to your life. Give it a try! You might find that many of these things have multiple ways of making a person feel great.
Share this Post