Warmer weather is here and that means more opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors, but it also means that scorching temperatures are right around the corner. It’s important to be mindful of the weather when planning what to do for the day. There are many activities that you can take part in whether you are inside or outside. You can appreciate the summer months without having to be outside for hours at a time – or at all.
Whether you live in a retirement home, assisted living or memory care community, there are several opportunities to relax and appreciate the sunny days of summer. Below is a quick list of 10 ideas to help you enjoy the warmer months in a peaceful way. In addition, you can adapt these ideas and use them any time of the year. For example, #3 mentions a fun arts and crafts project. Take this idea and simply adjust the colors or theme to reflect the colder months of the year. Have fun and enjoy the beautiful weather!
10 Ways to Beat the Heat and Enjoy Summer
- Purchase a good summer read. There are many books specifically set in places like Nantucket or the beautiful beaches of Hawaii for entertaining summer reading. Reading a calming summer novel can make you feel like you are right there at the beach with the characters spilling from the pages. See what Good Housekeeping recommends for excellent summer reads of 2016 by clicking on the hyperlink.
- Pick a summer themed puzzle. Do you enjoy a good puzzle every now and again? This summer, purchase a puzzle with a scenic summer view. This could conjure up happy memories and help you to appreciate the beautiful landscapes that warmer weather should bring.
- It’s time for an art project! Make a wreath or any type of hanging art for your door. Use bright colors, flowers and ribbon to bring in the lovely feel of the warmer season. Every time you open your door you’ll be reminded of the beauty that summer brings.
- Take a short walk around the property. If it’s super hot, remember to keep it short and bring along a bottle of cool water to drink. Consider bringing a friend with you. There’s enough sun for everyone!
- Sit by the window and feel the sun on your skin. When you’ve been indoors for too long, sometimes simply sitting by the window and feeling the warmth of the sun on your skin is all you need to feel refreshed and relaxed.
- Join in the fun! Does your property or community have a monthly event calendar? Make a personal goal to participate in at least three pre-planned community activities per month. It can be easier to join in and participate in something already planned by someone else. And chances are, a lot of the activities will have a summer theme.
- Board games can curb boredom. That’s right – we mean those old board games sitting up in your closet collecting dust. When is the last time you played cards or Yatzee with a friend? Now is the perfect time to sit back, relax and show off your amazing board game skills. Sit at a table by a window while you play so you can look outside and appreciate nature.
- Take a cat nap. So this one you can most definitely do any time of the year. Sometimes the best thing in the world is a 45-90-minute nap in between activities. Never underestimate the power of a nice nap in the middle of the day.
- Bird watching on cooler days. Do you enjoy sitting back on a park bench hearing the sweet songs of birds, the wind blowing in your hair and the simple smell of summer? AHA! It’s that time of year again. Take a few moments to simply enjoy nature at its finest. Remember to avoid being outside during hot times of the day. Consider getting your outside time in early in the morning or later in the evening.
- Try a coloring activity. Yes, we mean coloring a picture or two! You haven’t colored since you were a kid? Adult coloring books are all the rage these days. They promote relaxation and down time, while creating a beautiful piece of artwork. Simple coloring pages or more complex books are available online or at retail and grocery stores all over the United States. Whatever you choose, consider using bright colors to help you get in the summer mood. Another bonus: Adult coloring books help promote relaxation and can relive stress. Take a look at this article written by Medical Daily by clicking on the hyperlink.
We hope you have a fun and relaxing summer! Remember not to overdo your time outside. As the weather becomes hotter and hotter, be sure to spend smaller amounts of time in the great outdoors. Don’t forget sunblock, chap stick and a nice cold water, just in case.
Share this Post